Saturday, October 22, 2011

Technique:

I'm so happy you liked what I made! I wasn't sure anyone was reading my blog anymore... hahaha!

I was google-ing some crayon ideas for a different project I wanted to make for my new teachers, and my kid's teachers when I came across this idea. So, I can't claim originality, but I LOVE it!!!
Here's how:

  • I used a 64 pack of crayons, taking out all the black and brown shades. I want to do the same thing with only blacks and pinks for a friend of mine...but, that's a bunch of crayon packages...Think I'll have to raid some old crayons I have. I also want to do the same thing, but in the end, I want to NOT have the original crayon wrappers on top. I'm going to have to figure that technique out on my own. :) Make sure you leave the wrappers on the crayons - or it will be a hot (literally) mess. ;)
  • Hot glue crayons to canvas.
  • Use hair dryer (yes, normal hair dryer) on high heat to melt crayons. This process took me a bit over an hour. Go slowly, melting small sections of crayons at a time. Use close, without touching, circular pattern on about five crayons at a time. This time, after most of the crayons were melted out of the wrappers, I used the hair dryer to un-clump the clumps and to make the streaks drip down the remainder of the canvas. I think I'll go back and do that with the first one, too. :)
This is definitely something you could easily do with kids...supervised, of course. That hot wax is HOT. Be sure to use some type of splatter protector for the ground, and for your pants/legs. *from experience* :) I have two more canvas' in the craft area...just begging to be used...

No comments: