Sunday, July 17, 2011

How we roll

The trunk of our Civic Hybrid is packed-to the brim-and has been packed since about ten this morning. I pack small bags of goodies that we can easily share. Lots of chex mix and cereal bars.

Then, there's the back seat. Two cars seats with my favorite bag for the kids. It's packed with reading books (borrowed this time, from the library), coloring books and crayons, cars, and a few army guys. There are twin screen dvd players. Usually, I bring our own collection of dvds. This time, we are keeping it fresh and spontaneous with red box movies. I love that we can check them out for a dollar a day and return them anywhere in the US. Plus, the boys can watch the movies that we normally wouldn't rent, like Cat in the Hat cartoons or animal babies adventures. I'm hoping we find Rango tonight. We'll have enough time, I think, to watch it at the hotel in Indianapolis.

Then, there is the bag of readily accessible goodies (I keep these under my legs in the front passenger seat). Here, we have Daddy's sunflower seeds, kids audio books, gold fish crackers in small baggies, veggie straws, paper towels, cups for sharing snacks, old grocery sacks for car trash bags, individual drink mix packs for water, fruit strip snacks, baby wipes, and plastic silverware & plates. We do sandwiches, fruit, chips, and lots of snacking when we go on long road trips. It keeps us from stopping so often and spending money on junk food or (*shudders*) fast food. I don't mind fast food, but when traveling, it's just one more expense and usually sits like a rock in our tummies, anyway.


I also stopped at the Dollar Store for some bad for you goodies...see?


So, here we are. Still at Grandma Jean's house in Ohio. We're relaxing and biding our time before we HAVE to leave, around two this afternoon, for Indianapolis. And, that's how we roll...

No comments: