Thursday, September 15, 2011

Source of anger

This is a major sore point at our house. Caleb's new school is nut free. I understood this to mean that *they* did not serve nor prepare any items using nuts or nut products.
Yesterday, we found out the hard way that is not all... My first grader's teacher emailed me to say that she had to throw away his peanut butter (that accompanied his celery sticks), and that he cried. He was very upset. Well DUH!  We have been sending pbj's for the past 17 days! Now, we can't?! We have been forced to pay more money to purchase soy "peanut" butter so our child can eat his favorite sandwich. I understand peanut allergies...my husband us a nurse...
But, my husband is an intelligent nurse...he does his research. Peanut allergies are not caused by airborne particles. Direct contact reactions are rare. Consumption is the main risk. With that said, I know he's only a first grader and he might think about sharing his food...BUUUUUUT... If he was the child with a nut allergy, he would be aware of it. He would KNOW better than to eat peanut butter or would know it was safer NOT to share....
Needless to say...my husband gets so irate about this topic! He (we) have issues with people jumping on a bandwagon without knowing all of the facts. So, I'm going to have to find a way to not bring it up...while still fighting this backwards system...while not getting involved as an employee... Grrrrrrr.... Stupid soy posing as peanut butter...


No comments: