Monday, July 14, 2008

Jiggity-Jig

Home again, home again, Jiggity jig!

Yup, we're back! It was so nice to sleep in our own comfy bed last night.

Here's how the travelling rolled out: We left at 6 am (that's ET guys! so, 5 am here) on Saturday morning. We got to Somewhere, Kentucky around 2:30. That is when the fit hit the shan, so to speak. The 1963 model camper we inherited (and were pulling back to Texas from Ohio) from Brant's late grandfather did not want to go any more. Brant had replaced the lights, tires, and bearings. One side of the axle melted (okay - I should stop right here and say I know NOTHING about cars/trailers/mechanical anything - so bear with me). That's bad, right?! Yes. Bad. Very bad. Camper no go, no more.

So, I called my darling daddy and he got us the number to the Uhaul place 12 miles away. The podunk place we broke down in did not have anything that we could find to do a quick fix to limp the camper the other hundred zillion miles or so, home. So, we get the Uhaul ($375 later - nice free camper, right?!) and take it back to Somewhere, Kentucky. With two ratchet straps, and 90 degrees, and then torrential downpour, Brant and I managed to get the camper HALF WAY up the ramp onto the Uhaul trailer. Dad is calling to check on us about every HOUR or so. Around 5:30, Dad informs me that he was able to get a hold of a wrecker guy in Somewhere, Kentucky. He spends the next 3 hours with us (and two more rain sessions) getting the camper up on the trailer. After a quick $50 in cash to the very kind Ronnie the tow truck guy, we made our way to the Days Inn in Somewhere, Kentucky.

Road trip home, day 2:
We set out at 6:30 (read: still way too early!) on Sunday morning. The Jeep did great hauling the trailer. We rolled into just east of Dallas at about 5pm. We rolled into CENTRAL Dallas at 7:45. After two totally blocked interstates, with wrecks, the accordion effect, and a big detour, we finally left Fort Worth around 9. My loving, wonderful, darling, brave, strong husband drove us all the way home. We walked into our front door around 12:45 this morning.

My dad was so wonderful! He checked the mail every day, cleaned out the fridge (which was no easy task, read:gas mask needed), stocked us with basics (read:milk, sandwich stuff, breakfast stuff, a quick dinner meal if needed), and vacuumed the half dozen or so dead water roaches from our hardwood floor. It was such a blessing to come home to that.

So, now we are waiting on our plumber friend. Our fill valve (I don't know a thing about plumbing either) on our master bathroom toilet is nearly a stead stream onto our floor. Brant is dropping off the trailer with camper at my dad's shop. I am working on ... no wait, I am blogging. I am supposed to be working on unpacking. Caleb is at daycare. He was ready to see his friends. Owen is passed out on our bed.

So, we're home. Not too rested, but thankful for the vacation. I LOVE being with my mother-in-law. It's nice having a mommy-type around for a while. So, I am almost ready to get out and show off my growing baby and see my buddies. Like, tomorrow will be good for me! I guess I should go through the unpacking process before Brant gets back home. or, I could check email. :) Guess which one I will choose?

1 comment:

Jenni said...

YAY! So glad you are home and had some fun!