Hate is a strong word. I don't like that word. Especially when my darling three year old uses it to express himself towards me.
He was overly tired. We were getting ready for nap time and I was teasing him about putting away his toys so we could snuggle. It was all in the fact that I said I am going to go snuggle now...nah nah nah nah nah nah. (imagine 3 year old taunting).
Then, he said it. "I hate you, Momma."
I was crushed. And pissed. And sad. And I decided it was lesson learning time. I calmly asked him to come here (to the bathroom).
I grabbed the bar of soap. Insert yikes comments here. He is crying and yelling the whole time. We've talked about saying bad words and getting the soap treatment. I put the soap in his mouth and discussed with him the fact that saying I hate you Momma was just like saying I don't love you Momma. How that couldn't be true. I don't think he ever put his tongue on the soap, but I did scrape it along his top teeth on the way out. While he's still crying, but calming down, we continue the one-sided discussion. When I see the flicker of understanding in his baby-blue eyes, I ask him to step up on his little step and help him rinse out his mouth about 10 times, until he says he can't taste it anymore.
Then, he apologizes and we snuggle. He falls asleep about 10 minutes later with his arm wrapped around my neck.
I know he loves me. I love him more than he'll ever know. More than I'll ever be able to express to him. But, THAT was hard. And I think the lesson might even be learned. Maybe.
1 comment:
wow! you are definitely stronger than i am. if i heard those words, i would probably just fall down bawling my eyes out!
Post a Comment