Monday, August 25, 2008

$25,000

One day down...too many more to count, to go.

I had a pretty good day that ended with a horrible headache at 4:30... it's still lingering.

I had 136 sixth graders grace my classroom. Let me just say that the first class of the day was big... gigantic, even. 32 desks + 31 chairs +34 kids = some peoples gotta sit on the floor. Oh well.

This is my 10th year of "experience." I've never before had a kid like ... um, I'll call him A. A is autistic. The really, really, noise-cancelling-headphone-wearing autistic kind. I don't know how to act or react to him. My co-teacher was out today, cooling fires (read: first day of school and a student who belongs in a behavior unit decided to run away... from school). So, here I am trying to figure out what to do with A. He says things like, "A has a rumbling in his tumbling." or, "A is never getting to go home." Then, "You've just won twenty-five THOUSAND dollars!" This is followed by his rendition of canned laughter, plus the circular "Round-of-applause." All this is going on, and I don't know if I should tell him to stop, or ignore the behavior. I was so mumfumbled that I have no idea what I said to the other 20 kids in the class. I lost what I needed to do, or had already done, and was left with 20 minutes or so to just look at the kids and say, "I am sorry. I know I've forgotten something, but I just can't remember what that might be."

To say I experienced frustration is a bit of an understatement. I felt like a first year teacher, all over again. So, I guess I am asking for a bit of prayer. I want to treat this child with the respect he deserves while adding value to his life. Plus, I don't want to abandon the other students that are expecting great things out of this "experienced" teacher. I desire success for them, too. Hmmmmm... more experiences from the game-show student will follow... I'm sure of it.

By the way... I REALLY did have a good day. I was just lost for an hour.

1 comment:

kablot spot said...

I have taken care of several autistic kids in their home. It would be so difficult to know what to do so that your other students can still learn. The truth is that autistic kids have so much trouble simply coping with a changed environment that it will probably be a little while before he actually retains anything taught in class. Poor little guy! What a hard situation! It doesn't seem like he should be mainstreamed to me. But it's not his fault.